Solo female travel is popular amongst women that cite restrictive responsibilities, a mundane lifestyle, the need for self-actualization, and a break from catering to other people as the reasons why they travel alone.
A George Washington University School of Business study concludes that around two-thirds of travelers, today are females while Travel Industry Association mentions that 32 million American women travel alone every year.
‘Key Indicators of Domestic Tourism in India’ report mentions that 40% of all solo overnight trips in India were by women.
This suggests that the female travel industry has ameliorated significantly.
Reasons For Solo Female Travel
- Traveling alone is a great empowering and liberating experience. In this chaotic world, we forget who we really are and solo travel can be a pivotal journey to find your inner self.
- It’s challenging and exhilarating. Being on your own, in an unknown location amongst unfamiliar people can be scary but once you get to know the distinct cultures it brings out a better version of yourself.
- Besides, it’s always annoying and disheartening to always ask for everyone’s approval whenever you have a travel craving (remember all those Goa Trips)
But you don’t go to a battlefield with chopsticks in your hands, and the same goes for traveling alone.
Here are some of the tips you should follow for gratifying travel experience:
FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH YOUR DESTINATION
- Find out about the weather conditions of the place; try to accustom yourself to the culture and the language.
- Visit the official tourism sites, and pick the popular attractions.
- Find out the currency exchange rates, commodity and hotel prices, and general rules and regulations.
- You’re there to explore you can enjoy Netflix back at home too.
- Visit places that people don’t usually explore, try out new cuisines, dance around with the locals, and assimilate with their culture.
Remember what Robert Frost said
“I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference”
- Pick them according to the weather.
- Prioritize comfortable clothes.
- Roll your clothes while packing so that they occupy less space.
- Choose lighter suitcases, sleeping bags, waterproof bags, and watches.
- If you are planning a solo road trip the roof rack accessories are the Holy Grail.
- Choose shoes that are comfortable, water-resistant, and sturdy.
DON’T FORGET TO HAVE FUN
- This is your ‘ME’ time. Connect with others and with yourself.
- Take photographs, chat with local people, stare blankly at the night sky
Or keep a journal maybe, who knows it might get published someday.
The given list of the best places for solo female travelers has been curated keeping in mind parameters like safety, accessibility, friendly people, female-oriented tourism policies, etc.
- The safest destination for women with surprisingly low crime rates and a lot of amazing things to do, Iceland claims the top spot on the Global Peace Index.
The glorious glaciers and fire-breathing volcanoes make it “The Land of Ice and Fire.”
Attractions: Silfra Fissure, Reykjavik city
- The breathtakingly gorgeous mountains, lush green meadows, and the glorious Rhône River will take your heart away and won’t ever return it.
- Enjoy the grandeur of the Swiss Alps, walk in the serene meadows, and don’t forget to devour the fine Swiss wine (thank me later)
- High rank in the Global Peace Index, incredibly low crime rates, and hotels to spoil you with all the pampering, Switzerland is heaven for solo female travelers.
Attractions: Geneva, jet d’eau, Parc de la Grange, Interlaken
- With both the fashion and romance capital of the world, 80% of the gender gap successfully bridged, rich culture and heritage, and suave French sophistication France is the place to fall in love with.
- The Devil Wears Prada and Paris have the best of it. So, let your shopaholic out, walk under the Eiffel Tower at night, and visit places that you can’t even pronounce.
Attractions: Paris, Louvre Museum, Eiffel Tower, Côte d’Azur.
- Land of the mighty Romans and home to the modern renaissance, Italy is lauded for its rich history, delicious delicacies, warm people, and exquisite fashion.
- Row along the Grand Canal in Venice, revisit the Roman Empire in all its glory and there’s a chance you might run into The Pope at the Vatican City.
Attractions: Rome, Saint Peter’s Basilica, Colosseum, Venice
- The diverse wilderness, exotic food, and majestic landscapes make Australia a tourist paradise.
- Don’t forget to visit the Sydney Opera House, and enjoy the food in Melbourne. Efficient transportation and great hospitality are the icings on the cake for female tourists.
Attractions: Great Barrier Reef, Uluru, Bondi Beach, Valley of the Winds.
Visit Spain por favor and it won’t let you down.
- The great climate, intricate architecture, graceful beaches, and warm welcoming people are the reasons to visit Spain.
- Savor dishes at Michelin-star restaurants and treat yourself to a glass of Sangria wine.
Attractions: Valencia, Girona, Ibiza
- A place deeply rooted in its culture and tradition Japan attracts tourists because of its welcoming people, UNESCO sites, religious shrines, and amazingly cheap hotel rates.
- A food lover’s paradise Japan will keep you munching on its seafood, sushi, and miso soup.
Attractions: Tokyo, Kamigamo Shrine, Tō-Ji
Knock these places off your bucket list and go SOLO because of YOLO.
**Please note that this post may contain affiliate links. When booking through one of our links, we earn a small kickback at no extra cost to you and it’s a big help to keep the site up and running.