Travelling solo in Dubai can be an exhilarating and memorable experience. The city is known for its luxurious lifestyle, impressive architecture, and rich cultural heritage. As a solo traveler, you can meet and socialize with plenty of people from different walks of life, which is what makes travel so very rewarding.
However, as a solo traveler, it is important to be well prepared and take necessary precautions to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip. In this blog post, we will explore some tips and recommendations for traveling solo in Dubai.
Why Travel Solo In Dubai?
Dubai is a vibrant cosmopolitan city that’s absolutely beautiful. It’s a city that welcomes and encourages multiculturalism. Almost 80% of Dubai’s population is made up of non-UAE residents.
These are people who’ve come to Dubai from all over the world and from all walks of life. In Dubai, you’ll get to observe various cultures – Emirati, Arabian, English, Chinese, Korean, Italian, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani, Somalian, American, Spanish, and many others.
The best part is that Dubai, despite the huge foreign population, is one of the safest countries in the world. It’s a multi-cultural country where people live together peacefully, with respect and tolerance for each other’s differences. So no matter what your background, you’ll feel at home in Dubai.
Know How to Put the Right Foot Forward
On your solo travel in Dubai, you must have a good understanding of the country’s laws and social rules. The UAE has a very unique culture; there are several regulations that you wouldn’t know offhand.
Make your trip as pleasant as possible by understanding and following Dubai’s rules according to our Dubai Solo Travel Guide.
- Do not drink and drive. Yes, it’s the same rule all over the world, but in Dubai, you could be severely fined or even imprisoned for this offense.
- Stay away from PDA: Yes – feel the sudden need to hug a friend and plant a huge kiss on him or her? Don’t do it in public. Just do it in the privacy of your hotel room. We’re serious.
- Be careful not to swear: Yes, we are serious about this too. Do not swear while in public in Dubai. Be careful not to swear in your social media interactions either.
- Do not dish Islam: You don’t have to attend the mosque or sit for the prayers, but you do need to respect the religion. In any case, whatever your personal opinions or thoughts are with regard to the UAE’s religion, do not publicly say anything negative.
- Do not dish Dubai’s rulers: This is another rule to be careful about. Dubai’s people love their ruling family and will not take kindly to public disparaging of them. So be careful what you say.
- Dress modestly: You can wear bikinis on the beach (just make sure it’s allowed on the beach where you’re at). However, wearing something very revealing, even if it is just to deal with the heat, is a strict no-no. Keep shoulders and knees covered at all times.
- Tipping is expected in Dubai, about 5-10% of your bill, so be prepared to dish out.
- Prices are fixed at malls, but you can bargain to your heart’s content in the souks.
The UAE has several indigenous airways including Etihad Airways, Emirates, FlyDubai, and others. Getting to Dubai from any country is easy, as almost all airlines land at Dubai International Airport regularly.
If you choose to travel by a UAE airline, you could benefit from a healthy discount as well. Never hurts to check. As we’ve already mentioned, Dubai is an incredibly safe city, so you can boldly travel solo to Dubai, with your UAE Visa in hand.
Find the Right Place to Stay
When traveling alone, you need to stay at a place that is connected to restaurants, shops, and attractions. Look for good hostels, apartments, and hotels in Downtown Dubai and Dubai Marina.
These two areas are connected to a vast array of bars, malls, restaurants, and tourist attractions. Plus, these areas are also well connected to the Metro services.
As a solo traveler, you might be interested in meeting other tourists and sharing their experiences. Staying at a budget hostel in the Al Barsha or Downtown area is the best way to meet other solo travelers.
Find Out Ways to Meet People
Meeting new people and sharing their adventures is one of the perks of solo travel. And where do you meet exciting people?
At pubs, bars and clubs, mostly. Dubai has a vibrant nightlife, despite its strict regulations. You’ll find a bar or club to suit your budget anywhere in Dubai.
Barasti Beach is a beach bar where you can enjoy live music and a thriving atmosphere. There’s also Stereo Arcade Club, where you can enjoy live rock and DJ music for every taste.
There are plenty of nightclubs in Downtown Dubai and around Dubai Marina.
Pre-book Your Tours and Activities
As a solo traveler, you want to know your schedule ahead of time to get the best out of your travel plans. You also want to meet great people while enjoying the sights and attractions. The best way to do this is to pre-book your tours and activities.
Dubai has several excellent travel agencies through which you can book various tours. Evaluate various tour companies and choose one for all your tours.
That way you get to enjoy freebies and discounts and combo tours that help save money. Plus, using the same company for a number of tours is a surefire way to build relationships and make future plans with other visitors.
Experience Never-ending Activities!
In Dubai, you can experience literally every kind of activity there is. These amazing experiences are well worth your UAE Visa.
- If you love the sea, engage in snorkeling, diving, white water rafting, canoeing, kayaking, surfing, kite-surfing, paragliding, and even banana boating.
- If you just love the water, enjoy the rides at Dubai’s water parks – Aquaventure Waterpark, Wild Wadi Water Park, and others.
- Have a blast in the cartoon world of IMG Worlds of Adventure – it’s an imaginative, immersive, and highly entertaining amusement park.
- Then visit the Dubai Frame to enjoy the view of both old and new Dubai. Visit Dubai Creek, the markets of Bur Dubai and Deira, and old Dubai to get closer to the UAE culture. Visit Love Lake and feel immersed in the romantic magic surrounding it.
- If you prefer an overland adventure, why not book yourself on a desert safari? Enjoy some intense 4×4 dune bashing, quad biking, sandboarding, and camel riding. If you want to add a splash of culture to your desert escapade, book an evening or overnight desert safari. You’ll get to enjoy an amazing buffet dinner along with cultural entertainment as well.
- If you love shopping, be sure to explore Dubai Mall, Emirates Mall, Ibn Battuta Mall, and Marina Mall, among others. Bargaining for spices and locally-made textiles at Bur Dubai and Deira will give you a new understanding of Dubai’s culture.
Dubai is an extremely safe and friendly city for solo women travelers. There are Dubai’s women and family-only taxi that helps women travelers feel safer. Plus, Dubai has local female guides to accompany you to attractions and help you understand Emirati culture.
**Please note that this post may contain affiliate links. When booking through one of our links, we earn a small kickback at no extra cost to you and it’s a big help to keep the site up and running.